Today FaceBook makes the new timeline lay-out mandatory for all business pages. Love it or loathe it, timeline is our new reality. Here’s a final checklist of what you should do to make your page timeline friendly.
- Pick your cover image! No overt advertising is allowed in this image. However, you can use a picture of your location, a product array, or even yourself! You can include your business name or logo in the banner, but again, no “call us for a deal!” FaceBook won’t let that fly.
- Add the date that your business was established, along with any major milestones. Opening a new location, adding a product line and expanding your staff are all great items to include in the list.
- Make sure your contact information is up to date! Since you’re in there anyway, make sure your URL, phone numbers and email addresses are all active and typo-free!
Once your page is timeline ready, now what?
- Invite people to like your page.
- Make a list of ten things you can post on your page. Now add them to your daily task list for the next ten days.
- Cruise other business pages and like the ones that are complimentary to your business. Note things that they are doing that could also work for you. Also note things that you don’t like. Knowing what doesn’t work is just as important as knowing what does.
What have you done to get your page ready for Timeline? Have you seen any business pages out there that you think have really hit a home run with the new lay-out? Tell us who they are in the comments!